Thursday, February 25, 2010

Homemade Skeleton






















I made my own skeleton! I have a patient that is a butcher and he helps out at a game processing place, so he hooked me up with a deer spine. I borrowed a huge pot and burner from Skinny (Dave Sharpless). Ethan seemed a little worried that he maybe the next to be boiled in the giant pot. He wouldn't go outside and was very suspicious every time I came inside.

The carcass boiled most of the day. Then I hand picked all the meat off the spine and gave it to a neighbor's dog. Yummy, yummy. I have to admit that I had a little taste. It was good and gamy. Then I put the bones into a large pot inside and boiled them with a water/bleach mix. The pot wasn't to happy, nor was Emily. Then I let them dry outside for a day. They turned out great!!

The aligned, anatomically correct spine on our coffee table was a bet. Emily didn't think I could put it together in 5 minutes. I love a challenge. Thanks to my veterinary course, it was easy!

1 comment: