Saturday, February 27, 2010

Blossoms!!







































Every spring in Las Vegas I can hardly wait for the blossoms on the trees because that means it is time to plant my garden! The blossoms are from our Tilton Apricot tree.
I love my garden. It is a total financial loss, but I enjoy the work and fresh produce. I also love to watch things grow. There are always new challenges and rewards.
I usually over do it, not a big surprise for anyone that knows me. The first year I drown my garden. I went out every night and over watered it. I have tried a couple different watering techniques over the past couple years and feel like I finally got it and am doing the best yet. Thanks Mike!
I have planted all sorts of plants. Beans, peas, beets, lettuce, tomatoes, squash, corn, hot peppers, sweet peppers, cucumbers, carrots, spinach, strawberries, melons, pumpkins, garlic, green onions, and all sorts of herbs. Most everything dies or doesn't produce fruit. This year I decided to stick with the basics-Tomatoes, peppers, spinach, basil, and cilantro. It is my little salsa garden.
The big problem this year is our new patio cover. We LOVE or new patio cover. It helps keep us shaded and keeps it dry out back, but it blocks the sun to the garden. Every year is a new adventure.
I had to take out the remains of our winter crop. I got a lot of spinach, beet greens and too many turnips. Turnips probably won't be a repeat next year.
I have lots of 'helpers'. Ella has been the big 'help' this year. The first year we did a garden, I can remember Adam stomping on all my plants. Nice. My kids are my biggest pests. My little fence has gotten bigger every year. It has never helped keep the kids out, but seems like a nice protection to me.
I am looking forward to a great gardening year! I am already craving BLTs. yummmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment